It warms my heart when family and friends reach out to me for meatless meal ideas. (#RD'sarecrazy) Almost as much as a warm cup of coffee, the Florida sun, a delicious chocolate treat, and the cutest pug and husband-xoxoxo.
We love plant-based meals full of beans, veggies, whole grains...FIBER. My fav benefits of skipping on the meat for 1 meal/day are:
1. Saving MONEY
1 can of beans or 1 lb bag of dry beans costs $.80-$2 depending on brand/type of bean. 1 lb of chicken breast costs $5-$10 depending on brand/organic vs. non-organic. Think of what you can do with that money you save?! Many things come to mind like treating myself to a Starbucks coffee on the way to work, but my point was to actually SAVE money, not to use it somewhere else. Either way it's a win!
2. Health Benefits
Fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, heart healthy. Enough said.
There are endless options when it comes to meatless meals. And it doesn't have to be complicated! Find a favorite recipe or make your own simple creation.
- plant-based protein: tofu a.k.a. soybeans (9g in 1/2 cup) and quinoa (8g/1 cup)
- SO simple and SO pretty. Go check it out!
- plant-based protein: chickpeas (6g in 1/2 cup)
- Tip: I sub vegan mayonnaise for plain greek yogurt, leave out the green onion/dill and sub raisins if we don't have grapes. I like to make recipes extra simple!
- We love this for as easy, portable lunch throughout the week!
- plant-based protein: black beans (8g in 1/2cup)
- Tip: The Green Goddess Dressing looks amazing! But if you need a quick option top the sweet potato with mashed avocado and salsa.
No recipe required!
- Black Bean Burritos
- Pasta topped with cooked lentils and marinara
- Naan Pizza (leave off the chicken sausage)
- Leftover veggie tacos-sautee whatever veggies are in the fridge, throw them in a tortilla with beans, avocado, and salsa!
- Grilled cheese with a side salad
You get the idea! Stock your pantry with no-salt added beans or dry beans, so you can give your meatless meals an extra nutritional boost!
Take a look at the first Meatless Meals post for more ideas!